Re: klez kamp 2003

Okay, I'll chime in here as well since some have asked offline for a "review."

Of particular success this year for me as an ensemble teacher was that
students were well matched up in abilities. This only means a more successful
experience for everyone, teacher and students. There were also instrument
classes for beginners  and then for the more advanced. This meant that we
would either address the ornaments or the modes for the first time or we
could move on to placement of the ornaments, air/bow speed, emotional
qualities in the tone, or the varying of melodic figures. Hopefully, then, no
one was upset that the material was either too easy or too difficult to
grasp. No one needed to feel that they were in the wrong place for them and
the teachers, for the most part, didn't feel they were keeping pace with a
broad range of abilities. All to the good.

Moods were supremely upbeat overall and I think that had something to do with
the dancing being very alive this year. Lots of it! And the bands kept moving
so that it wasn't "Chassidic Night" or Yiddish Dance night but rotated each
evening. We did lots of "aerobic" dances with Jill (she doesn't stop!) and
Steve taught us a great new dance "Pas D'Espan" which goes with a Tarras tune
in 3/8. The couples Bulgar was also reviewed for those who hadn't done it
before or forgot - like me. Overall, the dancing was simply incredible.  The
teens were really into it and made us older folk try and keep up! It was like
getting a free week at the gym - and far more fun than a treadmill ANY day!

The jams were indeed everywhere and, well, some instruments are louder than
others and frankly, when the spirit hits, ya can't complain. If there were
smaller areas to retreat to - that weren't also horribly freezing - then all
could be happy. Frankly, I loved hearing and seeing so much jamming; there
seemed to be more than in some of the previous years.

18 years of success is no small accomplishment, especially when you see 1/2
of the people returning year after year. HS, SM, DP and supporting cast have
a lot to be proud of.

Adrianne- klezflute -Greenbaum -who -is -finally -caught- up- on -sleep