Re: American Jewish songbooks

        Alfred Sendrey's _Bibliography of Jewish Music_ (which,
fortunately for "Lor[Stuck in Cleveland, wishing I could go to New
York]ele," is available at the Cleveland Public Library), lists _The
Jewish Songster_ by Israel and Samuel Eliezer Goldfarb as being
published in Brooklyn in 1925 (Part I) and 1929 (Part II), but
apparently the 1925 publication was the fourth, revised edition of their
collection first published in 1918 (with two subsequent editions in
1919).  The latter information is from WorldCat, an electronic national
union catalog probably also available at the Cleveland Public Library.
        Bob Rothstein