Re: Chinese Klezmer

There is a shul in Shanghai that is occasionally used by the expat Jewish
community, but is mostly a museum.  When I was there in 1999, there was a
wonderful, spry old gentleman who ran the museum and gave me a
walking tour of the Jewish sights.  It cost me nothing as the guest of a
university, but when my brother went as a tourist the following year, he paid
plenty, although he thought it well worth it.  If you're really
interested, I'll see if I can dig up the info.

Ari lists a klez band in Beijing, none in Shanghai.  It's a fascinating country
and I met lots of lovely people, although outside of Shanghai I couldn't even
explain what a Jew was let alone find anything Jewish.
(Most of my time was spent in Sichuan province and I wouldn't extrapolate from
my experience at all.  I was a guest of a music festival, conducted a choir in
one of my own pieces, lectured, and was treated incredibly
well.)

There are a number of website on the Jews of Asia, including one by that name,
that should provide some helpful info about China.

--
Alex Lubet, Ph. D.
Morse Alumni Distinguished Teaching Professor of Music