Re: Biographical Articles (Sulzer!)

On Mon, 9 Dec 2002, Alex Jacobowitz wrote:

> Where can I find out more SPECIFIC information on
> Sulzer? And are you sure that the dates listed in the
> site regarding Sulzer are correct?

Well, the Sulzer dates are beyond doubt (Tyrol, March
30, 1804--Vienna Jan. 17, 1890).

It shouldn't be difficult to find extensive information
on Sulzer. Probably anyone who has written on Ashkenazi
chazzanut devoted at least a few words to Sulzer. A
good place to start with are encyclopedia articles and
the bibliographies mentioned in them.

So start with:
http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/view.jsp?artid=1161&letter=S

I would also take a look in the current Encyclopedia
Judaica.

Another important historical source is the foreword
that Sulzer wrote to his own work "Schir Zion:"

http://www.shulmusic.org/sulzer/sulz_3.htm

 Groeten,
 Irwin Oppenheim
 i(dot)oppenheim (at) xs4all(dot)nl