Ashkenazic/Sephardic

At 03:51 PM 12/8/02, Tuna Pase wrote:
>Selam...
>as a sepharadic jew living in istanbul
>we never had dances of our own
>the dances they teached us were mainly ashkenaz dances which were
>accompaniament with klezmer music

This remark makes a nice frame for the following bit of
Ashkenazic/Sephardic song travel which is recounted on the Hebrew
University website
http://www.jewish-music.org/
under "Song of the Month."  (BTW This site makes a mouth-watering offer of
an online "Thesaurus of Jewish Music," by which they seem to mean a
Bibliography of Jewish Music ...unless I'm missing something...)

<<The klezmer tune heard at the beginning of our "Song of the Month" is an
excerpt from an historical recording by the great klezmer Naftule Brandwein
dating from 1925. This instrumental piece served as the basis for the
Hebrew song "He and She" by the Israeli poet Natan Alterman who knew this
tune from his childhood in Eastern Europe. The song by Alterman was
composed for one of the legendary Purim parties of Tel Aviv in the 1930s.
Later on, Alterman rewrote the song as a parody about a male baby born
before the wedding from an unknown father. In this new form of a parody it
turned into a shir rehov ("street folksong") sung at youth movements and
among the working class in Israel. Yet, the most interesting issue in
relation to this song is its transformation into the most renowned hit of
Oriental (mizrahi) pop music in the 1970s under the title of "Hanale
hitbalbela" (after the refrain of the parody song by Alterman). Various
commercial recordings of this hit were released of which the one from 1975
by Lehakat tzliley ha-ud with Rami Danokh as a soloist (heard in the second
part of our "Song of the Month") is the best known. Other Oriental pop
stars such as Daklon (Yossi Levy) recorded it later on. One final note: the
song was reworked once again in 1976 adapted now to a text praising Betar
Yerushalaym, "the" soccer team of the mizrahi working class, on the
occasion of their first conquest of the Israel Cup.>>