kosher belly dance

hi, I used the term as a joke: I know of course that "belly dance" is a
popular term with all kinds of associations. I've studied it under
whatever name is currently being used "Oriental dance" has been one,
which is kind of funny - which part of the Orient?) and have been doing
- since long before becoming involved with Sephardic culture - Balkan,
Turkish and Greek dance (and music) (in fact, working with these
traditions was one of the reasons I decided to focus on Sephardic
music).

I don't know about the karshilama specifically. There are a few
Sephardic wedding songs in karshilama 9/8 (I sing one on my  "Primavera
en Salonica" CD, and with Gerineldo on one cd, can't remember which one;
and I've recorded it and a few others in field work, as has Shoshana
Weich=Shahak - before me - they're on one of her documentary CDs; and I
think Ruth Yakov sings at least one of these as well).

But I honestly can't answer you about how specific they get about the
actual dance . The only times I've seen them dancing to it or anything
else from that region it's been the general "a la turca" style. Again,
the only reference i've come across to any dance the Jews in the area
considered their own was that mention by Kaufman in an old article, and
the little agricultural-themed [layparty dance song I mentioned.
But I'll keep my eyes open.
Judith