Re: Yiddish Ein keiloheinu

Part of the text (almost) as Sam gives it also appears on the Suki &
Ding recording "Yiddish Classics" (vol. 1) - on the CD version it is
halfway through track 5, after 'A yid tsi zayn iz tayer'. Two verses
appear on the recording (complete with synths and drum beat):

Nishtu aza got vi indzer got - ayn keloykayni...

Geloybt iz indzer got - noyde l'eloykayni...

We never get anywhere near 'atah hu she-hiktiru' since the song flows
seamlessly (well, via a piano glissando and change into the minor mode)
into a similar Yiddish/Hebrew version of Hamavdil. (There's also a
Yiddish/Hebrew Lecho Doydi on this recording).

Abbi

> While it would have been simple for me to translate the few remaining words
> you requested, I refrained from doing so because this would not be of best
> service to the Yiddish song, which is a paraphrase of the Hebrew prayer
> rather than a translation; therefore it cannot be precisely reconstructed
> just by translating the remaining Hebrew text.  Since I remembered once
> hearing a version of the song from a Marmures (Carpathian) native, I tried
> to track him down before guessing on my own.
> He sings a different (somewhat less interesting) variant of the tune than
> in the Eisikovitz collection, and this is the text in his dialect -- which
> I've also "YIVOfied" at the bottom of this posting:
>
> 1) Es iz nishtu azoy a Got avi indzer Got...Eyn Keyloykeyni
> Es iz nishtu azoy a Her avi indzer Her...Eyn Kadoyneyni
> Es iz nishtu azoy a Keynig avi indzer Keynig...Eyn Kemalkeyni
> Es iz nishtu azoy a Helfer avi indzer Helfer...Eyn Kemoyshi-eyni
>
> 2) Ver iz nokh du azoy a Got avi indzer Got...Mi Keyloykeyni
>
> 3) Lomir loybn tsi indzer Got in keynem mer...Noyde Leyloykeyni
>
> 4) Geloybt iz indzer Got in keyner mer...Burikh Eloykeyni
>
> 5) Di bist indzer Got in keyner mer...Atu Eloykeyni
>
> [As I suspected, the Yiddish version does not have anything corresponding
> to the last verse: Atah hu she-hiktiru etc.]
>
> Following would be a standard YIVO version:
> 1) S'iz nishto aza Got vi undzer Got...
> 2) Ver iz nokh aza Got vi undzer Got...
> 3) Lomir loybn undzer Got un keynem mer...
> 4) Geloybt iz undzer Got un keyner mer...
> 5) Di bist undzer Got un keyner mer...

> Cantor Sam Weiss === Jewish Community Center of Paramus, NJ

--Abigail Wood

Music Department, University of Southampton, Southampton, SO17 1RG, UK
Tel: ++44 (0)23 8059 5064    University network: 25064