Re: issues for the wandering Jew(ish lecturer)

Robert,

I have flown dozens of times since 9/11.  In fact, I had a gig in
Washington, DC three days after 9/11 and made it there safely by way of
Baltimore.  I have flown to DC, Boston, NYC, etc. several times since 9/11.
It is just what I have to do to perform and make a living.

Yes, security is tighter, but just leave enough time for things and be as
nice as possible.  Make sure you have your ID in a convenient place because
lots of checkpoints will ask to see it - security, boarding the plane,
check-in.  Also, try not to be the first person in line to get on the
plane -- that person usually gets "randomly selected" to have everything
they are carrying on searched.  Not fun!

I have had absolutely no trouble sending my sound track CDs or any CDs or
tapes through the x-ray machines.  I would advise trying not to take a boom
box with you.  Either ask if someone where you are headed can provide one
for you to use OR bring a portable CD player with a set of small speakers
(like computer speakers).  This will enable you to play from it and it is
much easier to pack.  If you are plugging into a sound system once you get
there, bring a set of RCA cables and this will hook up your portable CD
player to most sound systems.

I have also had very little trouble carrying my guitar on board.  It fits in
the overhead on most planes and when I fly on the small prop planes, I can
easily gate check it.

As far as using someone's frequent flyer miles or getting reimbursed, it
really does not matter.  Just make sure that if you book it yourself you
apply for a frequent flyer number so you can get credit for the miles you
fly.  I have so many frequent flyer miles now that I almost always get
upgraded to first class when I fly.  Very nice!

Good luck and have fun!

Judy :)

Judy Caplan Ginsburgh, Professional Singer
1999 Louisiana Professional Artist of the Year!
judy (at) jewishentertainment(dot)net     -    judy (at) judymusic(dot)com
 www.judymusic.com
Hot off the Press!  My Jewish World - a new early childhood music curriculum
http://uahc.org/cgi-bin/pressdisp.pl?list=301786
Director: Jewish Entertainment Resources - We Help You Find Jewish Talent!
www.jewishentertainment.net
Conference Chair, CAJE 23: www.caje.org
"I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on
both hands. You need to be able to throw something back."