Re: issues for the wandering Jew(ish lecturer)

For my upcoming gigs, I went both ways; booked my own ticket once, because the
other option was not offered, and had my inviter book my ticket.  In the latter
case, it was just better for my cash flow and more trustworthy vis-a-vis my
host (not the individual, but the institution, with whom I've had
misunderstandings).  He booked an absurdly circuitous route to save money,
though.  I'll be wasted by the time I get there.  If he'd booked a Saturday
stay, it would've saved a lot of money even with extra hotel days, I'd be
fresher for my trip, and I'd get to spend some time in a favorite city, but
rules are rules.  This is not the first time I've been flown in and out, rather
than giving me some pleasant travel AND saving my host money.

I've heard that tapes are no longer safe from the new x-rays, but can't
confirm.

I never pack anything fragile in a duffle-like bag that I stow in baggage.
This year, I bought two very heavy-duty cases for (two of) my guitars, which I
can't carry on without buying tickets and which I'd never risk in standard
cases.  They're also very heavily insured.  ASCAP, for one, offers very cheap
insurance.

Hope that helps.

--
Alex Lubet, Ph. D.
Morse Alumni Distinguished Teaching Professor of Music