Circle Coffeehouse #2 - Josh Waletsky in concert

                                                        November 12th, 2002

    Dear friends and colleagues -
                        I am sorry this is so late in coming but I wanted to
let you all know about the second of the Workmen's Circle's "Circle
Coffeehouse" events:
SOLO CONCERT AND KLEZMER JAM  - with JOSH WALETZKY

this Sunday, November 16th
8:00 PM (doors open at 7:30 PM)
at the Workmen's Circle: 1762 Beacon Street, Brookline
    located between Washington Square and Cleveland Circle, right on the
Green Line.
    On street parking available.
Tickets: $10 in advance, $12 at the door.
For information contact The Workmen’s Circle at 617-566-6281 or
wcircle (at) gis(dot)net
Refreshments - (food and beverages [kosher] are sold throughout the evening)

**************
    For those of you who don't know Josh or his music, in addition to his
career as filmmaker, Yiddishist and musician, he is the foremost composer of
new  Yiddish songs, revitalizing a heritage that has largely ended in
collecting and archiving already extant folksongs.  Josh may be one of the
only people creating new song that is entering the mainstream repertoire.  I
personally find his songs incredibly beautiful and heart-piercing, both in
lyrics and melody, (I can't help crying every time I hear the love song he
wrote for his wife), and his harmonies are distinctively Josh.  This is why I
nominated him for this second Coffeehouse event.
    Josh will sing, and talk about his work... and at the end of the evening
there will be a klezmer jam with singing, for all the musicians in the
audience.  So please bring your instruments and voices!
    I hope you can each come.

...More details below...

BIO:
Josh Waletzky has been performing, teaching and writing Jewish music all his
life. He was a founder of and pianist-vocalist in the klezmer ensemble,
Kapelye.  Other recording accomplishments include editing the award-winning
recording Itzhak Perlman: In the Fiddler's House.  And he was artistic
director as well as vocalist-pianist for the Grammy-nominated recording of
Jewish resistance songs, Partisans of Vilna.  Josh is also known for his
documentary features Image Before My Eyes, Partisans of Vilna and Academy
Award-nominated Music for the Movies: Bernard Herrmann. Most recently, his
original Yiddish song cycle, Crossing the Shadows, has been hailed as a
landmark in contemporary Yiddish music.

ABOUT THE CIRCLE COFFEEHOUSE:
The Circle Coffeehouse
A place to listen, to meet, to find community
At The Workmen’s Circle, 1762 Beacon Street, Brookline
    Sponsored by The Workmen's Circle - a 100-year old Jewish cultural and
social justice organization - the Circle Coffeehouse is a community-gathering
place and a night out wrapped into one.  With a focus on Yiddish culture and
art with a social conscience, the Circle Coffeehouse features local artists
and special performances by well-known national performers in an intimate
setting.  We offer a smoke and alchohol-free environment.
Our apologies, but the building is not wheelchair accessible.  Please feel
welcome to inquire about special assistance.
    The Circle Coffeehouse is made possible, in part, by a generous grant
from the Brookline-Brighton Jewish Community Fund of the Combined Jewish
Philanthropies.

    Look for more Circle Coffeehouse Saturday evening concert/jams throughout
the year!

*********************
A FINAL WORD ABOUT UPCOMING COFFEEHOUSE EVENTS:
    Now that the Circle Coffeehouse has been successfully launched (with the
April event led by Michael Alpert, and more programs scheduled for later this
year,) we are assured a venue for ongoing performances.
    I am writing to you to invite your input in helping shape this unique
venue for both "concert"-style performance and participatory Jewish art and
expression.
    We have been considering different possibilities for future events
including:
open-mic evenings; storytelling; poetry; Yiddish (or Ladino) song; dance;
original compositions; Jewish humor; and even "oral history: - the sharing of
personal life experience, (through memoir, "telling", or just shmoozing with
each other,)
all with a focus on the sharing of our collective and individual Yiddish
heritage with each other.
    PLEASE FEEL FREE TO SEND YOUR COMMENTS AND SUGGESTIONS ABOUT WHAT *YOU*
WOULD LIKE TO EXPERIENCE AND SHARE AT THE CIRCLE COFFEEHOUSE IN UPCOMING
EVENTS.  PLEASE DIRECT THESE COMMENTS TO THE FOLLOWING EMAIL ADDRESS:
    Tsulebn (at) aol(dot)com

            Thanks.

                Ben Pasamanick