RE: Shirim Shines

I dont know where they promoted this...outside of St. Catherines... I would
have driven down from Toronto... but not a peep in any of the local papers.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org
[mailto:owner-jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org]On Behalf Of Asissel (at)
cs(dot)com
Sent: Monday, October 07, 2002 10:46 PM
To: World music from a Jewish slant
Subject: Shirim Shines

I never claimed to be a music critic but I have heard enough klezmer to
acknowledge and thank Shirim for a terrific show at Brock University in St.
Catharines, Ontario yesterday.  Shirim was accompanied by The Niagara
Symphony.  "A Klezmer Party with Shirim!" was an appropriate title for this
pops concert which was very poorly advertised on the US side of the border.
It certainly deserved better.  I doubt if there were a dozen people in the
audience who had ever been to a klezmer concert before.  Amusing to overhear
one woman at intermission say, "I wish I were Jewish, they have such
wonderful music."  This was certainly not Boston....or Buffalo for that
matter.

Well, the stoic, predominantly senior, Anglo-Canadian crowd seemed to enjoy
what must have been something brand new and exotic.  Not sure they "got" the
klezmerised theme from "Psycho" though.  I never heard the Dobriden (#5 in
the new Beregovski book) played on trombone and tuba, wow.  The Sam Musiker
medley arranged by Mike McLaughlin was well worth the price of admission.
The poor conductor looked a bit anxious as he waited impatiently to cue
chord
changes for the orchestra during the first clarinet doina of the show.  Now
if Shirim could only have persuaded the orchestra not to open with a medley
from "Fiddler," it would have been a perfect afternoon.  Maybe that was
their
plan.

Ari, you must have had quite a wedding with Shirim supplying the energy.

Alan Sisselman
Buffalo, NY