Re: Dietrich, como, unusual suspects

Re: Dona Dona

The song also gained folk scene currency through the English translation,
which was penned by Arthur Kevess (I think it's in one of the Izzy Young's
Books - forget the name for the moment - I think "Sound Off" or something
like that.) In any case the song in Kevess's English version pops up in some
church singalongs and other surprising places. Original Yiddish of course by
the great Aaron Zeitlin.

My late husband, the Dutch folksinger Frank Schildt (Folkways-Smithsonian -
Songs of Love, Play and Protest)  collaborated with him on this and a German
song "Kommeraden" in several interminable sessions to help make his
translations singable. PS - Songs of Love, Play and Protest available in
remastered CD form from the Smithsonian. It contains among its international
array, a rendition of Afn Pripitchuk, Die Gedanken Sind Frei and the rarely
heard anti-war song banned by Hitler - Immer Marschiren.

Sylvia Schildt