Re: Dietrich, como, unusual suspects

   I'd also nominate the Danny Thomas version of Kol Nidre as seen in the remake of THE JAZZ SINGER. Personally, I have no problem with people singing Jewish music who aren't Jewish...as long as they do it with love and respect. I vaguely remember the Perry Como program that Winston was talking about. It was done with love. Singers enjoy Kol Nidre because it's such a Tour de Force. Ya can't blame them. Beats La Streisand sing Xmas Carols  which I find weird, hallucinagenic and truly from another planet! Now I guess I'll hear from everybody who likes Babs.  Yes, I do too, BUT not on Oh Holy Night.  Neil Diamond actually does that carol  better, oy vey!
Some Jewish singers actually do weirder versions of Jewish music. And for that I'd nominate Mandy Patinkin's version of Belz. P.S. I hope everybody is having a wonderful New Year!!! L'Shanah Tovah!!!!

   Trudi the G

>From: "WINSTON WEILHEIMER"
>To: World music from a Jewish slant
>Subject: Re: Dietrich, como, unusual suspects
>Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 11:34:30 -0400
>
>You are most likely much too young to remember. Perry Como had a
>variety TV show in the 50's and would come on stage in a suit, (he
>was normally dressed casually with a sweater) and a white kippah,
>and sing Kol Niedre on the show just before Yom Kippur. In the
>early days of TV, even with entertainers like Uncle Milty and Jerry
>Lewis, there was very little Jewish content, except for an
>occational joke and the Molly Golberg hour.
>
>Perry Como actually loved (from his comments) performing Kol Niedre
>and it was truely moving to watch him sing it. It was an amazing
>statement as well coming from a Roman Catholic on prime time TV.
>
>Don't get too bumed out about the performance, it was done very
>tastefully and with respect, and probably broke some antisemetic
>icons.
>
>more unlikely Jewish music...I have a recording of Joan Baez singing
>Dona Dona Dona
>
>Rabbi Winston Weilheimer
>Host/OWNER
>NUSACH INTERNET RADIO NETWORK
>Nusach, THE ORIGINAL SOUL MUSIC!
>http://www.angelfire.com/art2/nusach/

>---------------------- jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org
>Hosted by Shamash: The Jewish Network http://shamash.org A service
>of Hebrew College, offering online courses and an
>online MA in Jewish Studies, http://hebrewcollege.edu/online/ ,
>and a co-sponsor of http://MyJewishLearning.com
>---------------------- jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org

---------------------- jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org ---------------------+ Hosted by Shamash: The Jewish Network http://shamash.org A service of Hebrew College, offering online courses and an online MA in Jewish Studies, http://hebrewcollege.edu/online/ , and a co-sponsor of http://MyJewishLearning.com ---------------------- jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org ---------------------=

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->