More on the Broyges

This morning's discussion inspired me to try once more to track down a person
from the Jewish genealogy discussion group who made a posting several years ago
that mentioned the broyges.  Today I actually found the fellow and here is what
he had to say (Milton Blackstone is his name):

"It started out by the male courting the female and that developed into a
disagreement followed by the male seeking forgiveness while she was very
indignant.  I seem to remember a reverse switch somewhere during the dance when
the female persued the offended male, after which they got together and then te
freylekh celebration came in as they danced off.
You probably read the post in which I was seeking the correct name of "the
cousin, who danced with my mother, called WOLFE" as I did not know whether that
was his first or last name and how he was related?  All I knew is that he had a
barbershop in the Bronx, his wife/s name was Jenny and he was at all our
relative's celebrations where at some point, everyone clamored for Gussie and
Wolfe to do the beragus tance.  (sp?)  (I spelled it this way because my yidish
pronunciation of "angry) sounded like so.)

My mom died in 1966 at the age of 76.  She came from Musnik, Lithuania in 1912
(via Riga) on the S.S. Pennsylvania and was a typical Jewish girl from a large
family. Her maiden name was Lenzner.  I'm most positive that she learned this
tance in Europe, although I remember that she performed if most frequently at
simchas held for my father's family, mostly during the late 30's - early 40's.
After Wolfe passed away, some time around the mid-forties, my cousin Mildred
took his place and did it with my mother.  I am currently 78 and I can still
see them traipsing around the floor while everyone clapped in unison.

You most certainly have my permission to quote me or do otherwise.
I'd love to see it performed once more! "

Helen

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->