Re: You say tsimbl I say cymbalom ..er I mean cimbalom

"Gifford, Paul" wrote:

> The tone of each variety is distinctive and readily recognizable.  For
> a Galician sound
> I'd opt for an instrument in the Ukrainian or Belarusian style.
>
> Paul Gifford

Not only is the tone of various instruments quite different as Paul
says, but the method of playing each instrument will vary due to the
layout of the strings and the hammers used - leading to a different
style in your playing.  I don't know what Alex Udvary's small
instruments are like but I suppose they use the Hungarian tuning - this
will necessitate quite a different playing style to what you would
employ with one of Jankowski's instruments. Also the factor of whether
the instrument has a damping mechanism (Jankowski's don't) will affect
what kind of things sound 'right' on the instrument.

Tim Meyen