Re: You say tsimbl I say cymbalom ..er I mean cimbalom

Last week I received for evaluation a prototype of a student tsimbl built by
James Jones of Virginia. While various options and improvements are being
considered, even this first prototype has a lot of things going for it,
including a nearly 3 octave range and a very affordable price tag ($400;
case & shipping extra). James is also willing to build other models of
tsimbls. This one has 2 strings per course so as to be tuning-friendly for
beginners; the bass bridge strings are wound. The sound is very good
considering the small size of the instrument.

I will be putting up a tsimbl information page on one of our websites soon;
in the meantime you can view the instrument and tuning scheme online at

http://jamesjonesinstruments.com/hammereddulcimer/studenttsimbl.html

I'm very close to Maine, and also have a Jankowski tsimbl, a Rizzetta
Santouri, and access to some other chromatic instruments, so if you want to
check some of these things out in person, drop me a line.

Beverly (New England Tsimblers Unite!) Woods
--
Beverly Woods
Water Village, NH 03864

http://www.sethausten.com/beverly.html