Re: Geien Zei in Shvartse Raien

FWIW--and I'm not sure if some or all of what follows has already been
posted in response--the above song, spelled that way in transliteration, is
the first track on THE UNFORGETTABLE SONGS OF THE GHETTO, featuring Sarah
Gorby.  (Sam Weiss posted in re, I believe, a different album featuring the
sung song by her.)

In the liner notes for UNFORGETTABLE SONGS--which was mentioned and highly
praised, once, on this list--the song is translated "Marching in Columns of
Black" and is attributed to Manny Leib, of whom the liner notes say:

"Manny Leib Biarabanski was born [in] 1883 in Russia and died in 1953 in New
York."

Of the song, the notes say:

"When the author, lyric-poet and balladeer, heard of the slaughter of the
Jews in Poland, he wrote this unforgettable lullaby."

The Yiddish text of the song is also provided.

I hope this is helpful to whoever originally inquired about it, and/or to
others.

--Robert Cohen