Re: Bottle Dance from Fiddler on the Roof

A few years ago, I was blessed by being able to spend Lag ba-'omer up
on Mount Meron together with the amazing musician (and list member)
Musa Berlin, who performed throught the night at an amazing venue, a
little distanced from the big celebrations right on the "grave" of
Shimon Bar-Yochai.

In the morning, though, I joined the large crowd at the larger venue,
and saw some chassidim doing the "bottle" dance. As far as I can
remember, they were not using any "device" to help the bottle stay in
place. Most of these dancers were young -- very young.

Frankly, I do not know enough about this dance. I would not be
surprised to learn that some chassidic groups have (re)learned the
dance from... "Fiddler on the Roof"!

Francesco

--

YUVAL ITALIA      Centro Studi Musica Ebraica
the  Italian Center for the Study of Jewish Music

via della Guastalla,19            20122 Milano Italy
tel/fax +39 02 55014977    yuval (at) powerlink(dot)it
            http://www.powerlink.it/yuval