Re: Pre WWII Jewish Music

Shirona:

Please pick up Michael Brenner's: THE RENAISSANCE OF JEWISH CULTURE IN WEIMAR
GERMANY, New Haven and London: Yale University Press, 1996. It will give you an
excellent overview of so much that was happening in Jewish culture and
education in Germany between the wars.

For a more in-depth focus on music in the context of social, political, and
cultural developments in Germany, why not pick up the current volume of MUSICA
JUDAICA, vol. 15, 2000-2001, and my article entitled, "Heinrich Schalit and
Weimar Jewish Music." (33-67).

Eliott Kahn