Re: Pre WWII Jewish Music

 Not sure if this is what you're looking for-- and this is an American Jewish
source-- but the Kostakowsky collection (1917, New York-- recently rereleased
and annotated by Josh Horowitz, available through Tara) is a great example of
how music reflected the changes in the way American Jews between the wars saw
their world.  Zev Feldman's article on the Bulgar in the Journal of
Ethnomusicology a few years back discusses the collection in this context.
Pete Rushefsky
  Shirona <shirona (at) bellatlantic(dot)net> wrote: I have a question -  Is
there a body of work that can be labeled "Pre WWII Jewish Music " (in Europe) -
or perhaps "Jewish Music Between the Wars" ?  The core of my question is this:
If there is such a distinguishable body of work, ( including Theater, Poetry,
Literature - even Art ) - does this body of work reflect the Jewish artists'
awareness, or perhaps lack of awareness , of their changing status in the
* * *
Singer, Songwriter and Teacher of Jewish Music
 Visit my website at    www.shirona.com
Listen to my music at www.mp3.com/shirona