Re: Who is qualified to teach klezmer?

In a message dated 4/29/02 9:27:46 AM, lubet001 (at) umn(dot)edu writes:

<< Of course, Josh is having a little fun with this, but I'm sure he knows
he's
also making a very serious point, which is that in secular academia, being an
ethnic insider cannot, at least technically, be regarded as a qualification
for
teaching for being involved in any way in an "ethnic" subject.  Were I to
start
a klezmer band at the University of Minnesota, it would almost certainly have
no Jewish members.  A large part of making Jewish music for me is about
community.  I'm not suggesting that that's the same for everyone, nor my
suggesting that only Jews are qualified to teach people how to play klezmer,
but one of the things I always derived from the music when I was an active
performer was that sense that was contributing to the community, to its
identity and continuity. >>

This brings out a few points for me. I've been reading along on the sidelines
here, having responded privately, not always agreeing with the points made to
date, or simply feeling the subject was moving along just fine without me.

Let me just interject a few points at this juncture.
It is indeed common for even the best of academics to assume that either only
Jews are qualified to teach a Jewish subject or that, worse yet, because the
person is Jewish, they might be better able to teach a Jewish-related subject
than a non-Jew. When I first arrived on the scene where I teach now (Mount
Holyoke College) the music department knew I had focussed much of my training
and expertise in baroque flute, performed on harpsichord as well, and knew
much about performance practices of the period. They suggested, therefore,
that I be the one to take over the Renaissance band that was losing ground at
the time. Why not? I was the one suggested because, hey, I knew baroque
performance practice and I was closer to knowing that period's performance
practice than the knowledge base of the Brahms expert!   Being new on the
scene I had to agree to it, I felt, so I did it. Of course this is not
uncommon thinking in academia. You need something covered in a department.
Choose a person who knows a smidge and have them teach it. Luckily, with
regard to such areas as ensemble performance, one could say that we're not
teaching students to operate on other humans or animals so what's the big
woof? No REAL harm.

With all of that said  I feel that, just as in SOME other areas, what SOME
might be lacking in their approach to teaching a subject such as a klezmer
band on campus, they're gaining community and an opportunity to share a
culture. And, just as with other teachers of other subjects, you will have
great ones and you'll have mediocre ones.   Sometimes the mediocre lack
knowledge but have the ability to spark more critical thinking by the
students. Not so bad in any academic arena, yes?

Basically our MHC band has had very few Jewish students in it. It only means
for me that I need to be clearer in my explanations. Where might you have
heard this mode or this portrayal of the cracking in the voice? Well, I don't
think they would say "in my synagogue services...." So we relate in other
ways and what we all gain from it is that community and the realization that
all students are opening their minds and experience-base to a music they had
no familiarity with before and can now appreciate some of the history and
performance practice of another non-classical music. (And maybe in the future
we won't experience what Klezical Tradition experienced a month ago: a
committee whose chair wanted us but couldn't convince his colleagues on the
committee that we should be part of their first festival in their area. Why?
They had never heard OF klezmer and were afraid others would be in their same
boat..).
MHC band had something to offer at the first annual 5-college world music
fest and also had great fun playing and listening to other bands at the 2
klezmerpaloozas for college bands on the east coast.  And the bonus is that
they've learned from an active performer in the field how to produce a
different kind of music on their instruments and have acquainted themselves
with another culture as well as another kind of music. Our campus overall
feels we are a great addition to the college's offerings. We've been featured
on the website and I've had one student apply and accept to come to MHC based
primarily on the fact that we had this ensemble. Not such a terrible reason
to select a college!!

Adrianne Greenbaum
Klezical Tradition
Assoc. Prof. Mount Holyoke College