Re: Who is qualified to teach klezmer?

Of course, Josh is having a little fun with this, but I'm sure he knows he's
also making a very serious point, which is that in secular academia, being an
ethnic insider cannot, at least technically, be regarded as a qualification for
teaching for being involved in any way in an "ethnic" subject.  Were I to start
a klezmer band at the University of Minnesota, it would almost certainly have
no Jewish members.  A large part of making Jewish music for me is about
community.  I'm not suggesting that that's the same for everyone, nor my
suggesting that only Jews are qualified to teach people how to play klezmer,
but one of the things I always derived from the music when I was an active
performer was that sense that was contributing to the community, to its
identity and continuity.

One particularly tricky aspect of having a klezmer band in secular academic
institution might be gigs.  I know that our ensembles play in churches all the
time and occasionally in synagogues, but I can see some potentially messy
situations where there might be a sacred/secular conflict of interests.

In the interest of full disclosure, I should note that my klezmer career was
relatively short and I don't think I'd be particularly good at teaching the
music.  I would also note that from time to time I am called upon to be the
faculty expert on things Jewish.  In particular, I get asked questions about
matters of Hebrew pronunciation by singers and choral conductors.  I try to be
careful not to overextend myself into for my students and colleagues to more
knowledgeable people in the community such as rabbis and cantors as the need
arises.

--
Alex Lubet, Ph. D.
Morse Alumni Distinguished Teaching Professor of Music