Re: Does placing klezmer in the university remove it too far from its original context?

Really, the question you ask is a subset of the larger question: does placing
klezmer in the concert hall remove it too far from its original context?

I guess I would have to answer, yes, but what's the alternative?  If to many
people, it's still Jewish wedding (and, yes, bar mitzvah) music, that's good.
If it stops being used in the cultural context, should it then be ignored?  I
think it should be encouraged to flourish how ever and where ever, but with
mindfulness of the types of concerns Francesco raised in his email.

Any culture and any people's music is accorded recognition and increased status
by being the subject of academic inquiry, to my way of thinking.  Whether that
preserves the "traditional" form, well, that was the topic of an interesting
ethnomusicology seminar I took once.

It also touches issues raised in an interesting talk given by Boris Sandler
(editor of the Yiddish Forward) at the 2000 YK2! Festival in LA (yes, shameless
plug!), where he compared the evolution of Yiddish language and culture in the
US and the Soviet Union by pointing out the impact which centering Yiddish
intellectual culture  in academia had in the US (cultural isolation, emphasis
on preservation over evolving culture) to the situation in the Soviet Union
where new Yiddish writers were trained and accorded some status.  Check out the
article this past Wednesday in the NY Times about campus a cappella singers.  A
non-campus a cappella musician is quoted as complaining that campus a cappella
groups lack "soul" and are interested primarily in technical perfection.  I
think those sorts of criticisms frequently apply to any situation where
academia becomes the primary mode of transmission for any folk cultural aspect,
including music.

Shira Lerner
Yiddishkayt LA