Re: Time is Running Out: Yiddish Music Reissue Series on Sony Legacy

I've been privileged to hear pre-release copies of these albums, and I must
say that they are gems.  To hear these old tracks clearly and without the
usual vinyl noises is a consummate pleasure.
The 50-song vaudeville collection "From Avenue A To The Great White Way"
has fleshed out my understanding of "our" place in American popular music
in a deliciously forceful way. (That understanding included a bit of
sociological cringe factor, but the pleasures are significant
nevertheless.)  Those who understand Yiddish will derive additional joys
from some wonderful rarely-heard lyrics.
The 25 pieces of "The Klezmer King" also include a number of Yiddish
vocals, as well as two liturgically-flavored klezmer arrangements which I
particularly liked.
The incomparable Dave Tarras & Sam Musiker "Tanz" recording has a somewhat
misleading title, in that it is a klezmer "concept" album definitely
exciting to listen to even for the sofa-bound.  It rides the melodic edge
of the traditional dance forms in a real adventuresome way.  I think it is
a "missing link" recording that today's exploring klezmer musicians will
really appreciate.  It is also forms a musical link to the early Chassidic
dance bands.  Besides, Taras's gorgeous clarinet tone is worth the price of
admission.

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->