Re: Hava Nagilah Rights

on 4/18/02 7:05 PM, Lori Cahan-Simon at l_cahan (at) staff(dot)chuh(dot)org
wrote:

We had a discussion about this subject a few years ago.  In a book written
by one of his students, Nathanson is put forth as the author of the lyrics
for Hava Nagila, written when he was around 10 and himself a student of
Idelsohn, as I remember.  This "fact" is in dispute.
Lorele

Joshua Horowitz wrote:
The tune of Hava Nagila was collected by Idelssohn, not penned by him. If my
memory is correct, he called it a Nign from Sadigora (Ukraine). If someone
reprinted the exact original lead sheet of the publisher, Friedrich
Hofmeister, Leipzig  1932 (?) they would be infringing upon the "mechanical"
rights. But the tune itself (falling under intellectual rights) is public
domain, meaning anyone can publish it using different fonts, etc and can
record, arrange and defile. There is often confusion about the difference of
mechanical rights and intellectual rights, and most of us get lost in this.
Josh Horowitz