Re: Hava Nagilah Rights

The tune of Hava Nagila was collected by Idelssohn, not penned by him. If my
memory is correct, he called it a Nign from Sadigora (Ukraine). If someone
reprinted the exact original lead sheet of the publisher, Friedrich
Hofmeister, Leipzig  1932 (?) they would be infringing upon the "mechanical"
rights. But the tune itself (falling under intellectual rights) is public
domain, meaning anyone can publish it using different fonts, etc and can
record, arrange and defile. There is often confusion about the difference of
mechanical rights and intellectual rights, and most of us get lost in this.
Josh Horowitz