Re: violin bows

Hi Seth,

my name is Monika Feil, I am a klezmer fiddler based in Erlangen/Germany and
I am a lover of the old eastern European klezmer violin style. I want to
tell you my personal thoughts on violin bows in klezmer music:  I grew up
with a very light bow, but when I got more familiar with klezmer I bought a
very heavy one. The tone of my light bow is too soft for klezmer I think. I
intend to play a rough tone, non legato, and that´s better to do with a
heavy bow. Of course the light bow is easier to hold and play and a heavier
one needs more effort in playing. A heavier one sounds also better when you
play kontra (accompanyment), but this is strenuos when you play this a
longer time in the classical position - the bow has to move nearly
horizontally on the lower strings. I think the reason why the old (and some
contemporary) klezmer kontra fiddlers - and Balkan kontra players until
today - hold the instrument at the chest is that the bow then can move
vertically with the force of gravity - that´s much easier for the bow hand
and the tone gets a lot of power by less effort. I recently have started to
play the accompanyment that way. It needs a little exercise but is very
worthwhile.
So in my eyes one should find a compromise between playing a relatively
heavy bow but light enough according to the own personal skills.
So - that are my personal thoughts. Maybe there are other opinions out
there?

Monika