Re: link: How to Sound Like a Geezer

on 3/16/02 12:56 AM, ttraub (at) channel1(dot)com at ttraub (at)
channel1(dot)com wrote:

> to say; it jives with my own take on modern klezmer, he had excellent advice
> for people looking to learn the style, and he praised all the best bands while
> scrupulously avoiding sounding self-serving.  All in all, it was a
> refreshingly
> frank and straight shooting analysis of klezmer.  Thanks to Inna Barmash for
> including this link (I reproduce it here for those who missed it):
> http://www.dinayekapelye.com/jmgeezer.htm

I also found this article very informative, and to the point. In my opinion,
many modern bands try to clean the music up and make it pretty, there's
nothing wrong with some of that, but I want to hear the edginess and grit
left in. It was quite interesting to read what Bob Cohen wrote regarding
lack of recorded examples of the rougher style, obviously the record
companies were interested in recording what they could sell, and that was
the more refined players.

This article also echoes much of what I've heard my gifted instructors at
KlezKanada say regarding total immersion in the old 78s, finding old masters
and learning from them, and also my own experiences in learning other folk
styles. Once upon a time, I became interested in delta blues and Appalachian
string band music, among other styles of music. I listened to and enjoyed
modern players, but quickly realized the importance of going to the source.
I searched out older players, got to know them and learned from them, bought
LP reissues of 78s, and picked it all apart to learn to play it. Nothing
short of total immersion. 30 years later, I am considered to be somewhat of
an "expert" in that music, I've done recordings and written books on these
subjects and people come to study with me at festivals and workshops.

Not much has changed from 30 years ago except the recorded format. "Expert"
status notwithstanding, now I'm buying those reissued 78s on CD, and still
picking them apart, and noticing what I missed 30 years ago. I take the same
approach to learning klezmer. Total Immersion!

As a fiddler, I also found his article on klezmer violin extremely helpful.
Not sure of the URL, but follow the link at the bottom of the page of the
geezer article. And listen to more Belf!

Seth

--
Seth Austen

http://www.sethausten.com