Re: Dutch Cantorial Music/Prewar Media

I've been browsing Irwin's interesting Chazzanut Online site and wish that
my German (let alone my non-existent Dutch) were better, so that I could
more easily read some of the writings about the music.  As I made my way
through the music transcriptions, however, I was struck by the fact that
both the Katz and Lissauer collections use the "ng" consonant to represent
the Hebrew vowel "ayin."  I have always known this to be a characteristic
of Spanish-Portuguese Sephardic pronunciation, yet here it appears in a
collection of Ashkenazic music, amidst other obviously Ashkenazic
pronunciation.  Is this a Dutch convention for transcribing Hebrew that
does not necessarily reflect pronunciation, or was/is this music shared by
the Sephardic community as well, prompting a hybrid transcription?

I am also intrigued by the MIDI transcriptions of Hazzanut.  Some of the
soundfiles are of selections that have a regular meter, but others sound
like metrically even renderings of basically non-metrical
compositions.  (Metrical vs. non-metrical =written= transcriptions of such
pieces is another issue, which was discussed at length on this list a while
back regarding the transcriptions in Joshua Horowitz's Sephardic
Songbook.)  Since about one of these, Katz's R'tzey Vimnuchateynu, Mr.
Oppenheimer writes that it is still sung today, then if the transcription:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~danio/irwin/music/katz/katz-15.mid
indeed reflects current practice, this would indicate an interesting
musicological development.  (Even if actual current renditions are more
free-flowing, the very fact there are six of Katz's cantorial recitatives
"still in regular use in Amsterdam today", according to Mr. Oppenheimer's
introduction, is noteworthy.  Or perhaps this refers to the more melodic
excerpts from these compositions.)

Related evidence of the blurring of the distinctions between free-flowing
hazzanut and metrical melody is found in Berlijin's The Dutch Priestly
Melodies.  Here the interesting evidence is in written form as well.  His
"Birkat Nesi'at Kapayim" gives the instruction "Andante, quasi recitativo,"
yet it is composed for two voices.
http://www.xs4all.nl/~danio/irwin/music/nusach/berlijn-05.html
That the written transcription is an attempt to fit a non-metrical work
into a metrical strait-jacket is indicated by all the fermatas that it
contains.  Yet the scoring for two voices indicates that the composer heard
this music with more "Western" ears than his East-European counterpart
would have.
Perhaps this also speaks to a cross-influence between the Sephardic and
Ashkenazic Dutch communities.

Cantor Sam Weiss === Jewish Community Center of Paramus, NJ

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->