Ukrainian Klezfest 2002

Dear members,

The 3rd Ukrainian Klezfest is scheduled for the July, 28-August, 1 2002 in
Kiev!!!

The study will revolve around the vitality, joy and ceremony of the Jewish
wedding.  Klezmer music served as the entertainment for weddings and other
community celebrations.  We will learn the traditional music and traditional
dances for Jewish weddings, and how they have been adapted by new performers
and composers.  We will study the folklore, folkart (ketubot) and Yiddish
literary texts that relate to weddings and wedding music.  We will study
songs of love, courtship, marriage, the life cycle, as well as the
improvisatory/theatrical/musical form, badkhones (the wedding
narrator/entertainer). We will also do readings of scenes from plays
depicting Jewish weddings and view Yiddish films on the theme.  The course
will end with a gala concert including a highly theatricalized wedding
reenactment.

For further information contact, please
center (at) cjeu(dot)carrier(dot)kiev(dot)ua
The Center of Jewish Education in Ukraine