Re: Bruch's Kol Nidre before ... Kol Nidre

On Tue, 5 Feb 2002, Robert Cohen wrote:

>> Would it be prohibited in an Orthodox synagouge to have Kol Nidre
>> played before the start of the Kol Nidre service?

> I'm certainly not the one to give an authoritative answer; but it's
> probably relevant to adduce the example of Prague, where what Alfred
> Sendrey calls "an orchestral society" "played in the synagogue before
> the beginning of the Friday Eve service.

This is not a big secret.
It has been documented well by Idelsohn.

Also here in Amsterdam, before the war, on the occasion of the
consecration of one of the synagogues, there has been an once-only
instrumentally accompanied 'Kabbalat Shabbat' service.

The point is, that the proper acceptance of the Shabbat only takes place
with the pronouncement of "Mizmor Shir Leyom Hashabbat." So, up till
"Lekha Dodi" instrumental accompaniment is perfectly possible. The only
problem was that some of the Prague musicians refused to stop by that
time...

> Of course, Erev Yom Kippur might impose additional constraints.

On Yom Kippur there is nothing like a Kabbalat Shabbat service.
Yom Kippur starts already about 40 minutes before the actual
service commences.

Irwin