Re: from yesterday's Yediot Ahronot

At 12:45 AM 1/31/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>were they the ones who sang "yoya"? MW

Yes, Poogy sang "Yo Ya", which was a big hit off their first album. I think
Shirona's right that they were the first major Western-style rock band to
explicitly use Arabic music in a couple of songs, although there were also many
bands playing Arabic-derived music for the Sephardic community, and Arabic
music was always popular in that community. Lots of homes I visited while
working had albums by Farid al Atrache or Oum Khultum.

ari

Ari Davidow
ari (at) ivritype(dot)com
list owner, jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org
the klezmer shack: http://www.klezmershack.com/