Re: minor

On Sat, 26 Jan 2002, Sylvie Braitman wrote:

> Plus (I always refused to learn this at school, but I should have), what
> about the modes? Isn't Klezmer based on modal music? Sylvie

Jewish music in general is indeed strongly influenced by the
so-called "steigers" or "prayer modes" that are used in shul.
Having said this, the Jewish system of steigers has not much
in common with the system of modal music that was used by the
western Christian Church. They are more akin to the system
of "maqamat," used in oriental music.

For more information on this topic, see f.e. the Encyclopedia Judaica.

Irwin Oppenheim