Re: minor

At  26-1-2002 21:11 +0100, Irwin Oppenheim wrote:
>In western music there is a *convention* that a tune
>in minor is supposed to express sadness.
>
>In Jewish music, this convention, however, does not exist.
>Jewish music has a strong preference for minor in general,
>whether it concerns cheerful, neutral or sad pieces.

I think I understand what you mean, although some Western composers wrote
also cheerful minor pieces. That could be the influence of Jewish composers
or a kind of opposition of the standard. And "we" as teacher tell the kids
minor could also be gay.  It's clearing up you mention that this convention
doesn't exist in Jewish music and the preference for minor in general. I
wonder if this has been always that way?
And how old is Jewish music, how much is preserved?

>The emotional quality of a piece depends more on its rhythmic
>structure and the expression of the interpreter.

Could you explain what you mean by rhythmic structure? I just learned about
oompa music but don't grasp it completely. How can this have effect on the
emotional quality of the piece?
Thank you for the clear answers you already gave,

Henny