Re: ... khakhomim performing Jewish words

Getting back to the topic of Jewish music,
Isn't the point of "afile  kulonu khakhomim"
(a prominent phrase from the text of the pesakh
seder,  which I didn't loosely translate as "even if
we are all 'smart guys'... ") that we all could stand
to learn something even if we go over the same old
material again? --a positive mitsva for Jews and a
good practice for musicians/performers.

Re my not-so-sacred text (skippable unless you're
incorrigibly curious about Yiddish/Hebrew transcription):
I don't think the 'va' (or  've' in Yiddish) connective belongs
in my sentence, and I don't see a reason to double the 'l' in
"kulonu," but you're right about the consistent transcription
of that kometz vowel based on the language tradition that
the text is being cited in. I got befuddled when I started
thinking about being inclusive.

For best accuracy,  we'd have to use the Jewish alphabetical
characters rather than Latin alphabet transcriptions.
In that case, the vowels discussed here would be implicit
in the Jewish oysyes rather than spelled out as in the Latin
transcription and the problems with their transcription
would "go away."  Incidentally, the plural of the Yiddish and
Hebrew word spelled khes-khof-mem-yud-(final)mem is
usually transcribed (e.g., in the EJ [Encyclopedia Judaica])
either in Yiddish as khakhomim or in Hebrew as hakhamim
(using a dot under an h for the khet). I've never liked 'khet'
transcribed as 'ch' in such words as "chanukah" because in
English "ch" becomes"tsh", in French it becomes "sh", etc.
Even the Spanish 'j' would be better but still not be Jewish
and international enough.

Resume:
All this fuss may be irrelevant to performers of instrumental
music and Jewish mimes (where other vocabularies prevail),
but anyone looking at transliterated Jewish lyrics or other texts,
especially older ones, can see the potential problems both of
understanding and expressing the meaning of the words clearly
and of transcribing and pronouncing them reasonably correctly.
Accurate transcriptions of Yiddish and Hebrew texts have to
be the first defenses against the sloppiness and liberties I've
heard in "professional" live performances and recordings when
the performers took the Jewish aspects of their material too
much for granted or didn't know enough to ask the right
questions.

Yeah, I know it's early, but we need a little pesakh
right this very minute. Dance (and sing) on, Miriam!
Lee

On Fri, 11 Jan 2002 00:38:48 +0100 (W. Europe Standard Time) "I.
Oppenheim" <i(dot)oppenheim (at) xs4all(dot)nl> writes:
> On Wed, 9 Jan 2002 apikoyros (at) juno(dot)com wrote:
>
> > afilu kulanu khakhomim, we can always stand to have already
> well-known Jewish information repeated so that we can ensure that it
> is still widely well known.
> > Lee
>
> Well, if you really want to get everything correct,
> it should either be:
> va'afilu kullOnu chakhomim *or* it should be:
> va'afilu kullanu chakhAmim.
>
> But not something in between.
>
> Just my two cents :-)
> Irwin Oppenheim