Re: Maoz Tzur & Shavuot (part II)

On Thu, 10 Jan 2002, Eliezer Kaplan wrote:

> > I've always found it quite ironical that Yitschak Luria (the Arizal)
> > considered Caro's soul unfit to receive the 'higher wisdom' of his own
> > kabbalistic system... When Caro tried to join the circle of Luria, he was
> > bluntly rejected.
>
> What is your source for this?

For example:
J.H. Laenen, "Jewish Mysticism, An introduction," p.172 (A Dutch work)
Unfortunately I don't have the works of Scholem or Idel at home,
so I can't provide you with an English or Hebrew reference.

Nevertheless, Luria did consult Caro regarding Halakhic issues--but
not regarding Kabbalah!

Irwin Oppenheim