definitions

I've been thinking about the discussion re:  what to call the dances that we do
to klezmer music (Yiddish dancing? klezmer dancing?) and also about the
discussion of whether Yiddish dancing sometimes is freestyle and sometimes is
lead by a dance leader.  When you look at the whole variety of dances that are
done to klezmer music, it's clear that although some are more Jewish in
character, others are shared experience dances (Jews did them and so did the
non-Jewish neighbours down the road; e.g., sirba).  Still others were ballroom
dances (Steve Weintraub and I have been looking into Pas d'espagne for
example).  I find it interesting to include dances from all categories when
teaching sessions.  They all carry with them interesting bits of history and
the contrast in styles  are fun to juxtapose.  So, whatever we want to call
this dance genre, I would vote for keeping a fairly open definition.
Helen

Helen Winkler
winklerh (at) hotmail(dot)com
Helen's Yiddish Dance Page