Re: definitions

Could one deal with dances using a similar taxonomy to
what Zev Feldman devised for klezmer tunes.  Please
excuse me for jotting these down in a rather imprecise
fashion but basically there are 4 (see Zev's oft-cited
"Bulgar" article for a much more thorough discussion):

1. Core (i.e., recognized as uniquely "Jewish" by
practitioners & non-Jewish observers)

2.  Transitional (i.e. forms that were appropriated by
Jews and then modified into a Jewish form-- e.g., the
instrumental forms of horas, doinas, bulgars).

3.  Coterritorial-- repertoire of coterritorial ethnic
groups (e.g., Polish obereks, Ukranian kolomeykas,
etc.)

4.  Cosmopolitan-- repertoire of cosmopolitan status:
(e.g., German waltzes)

Of course the taxonomy is highly time dependent-- the
history of the sher might be a good example (and I'm
no expert on the sher's history)-- the sher may have
been first performed by Jewish dancers as a
cosmopolitan French quadrille then adapted to a
transitionally Jewish form.  As the Jewish sher's
music and steps evolved by the late 19th/early 20th
century it could perhaps be seen as a "core" Jewish
form.

Pete Rushefsky