[Fwd: Re: "Rock of Ages"?]

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: "Rock of Ages"?
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 21:14:32 -0500 (EST)
From: Judith S Pinnolis <pinnolis (at) brandeis(dot)edu>
To: jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org
<3C1E2913(dot)70168A98 (at) staff(dot)chuh(dot)org>

Lori:

Regarding English text of Rock of Ages....

Gustav Gottheil: 1827-1903. Heskes (Passport, 1994) labels him a "cantorial
leader" at Temple Emanu-El in New York City...but... he was a native of
Posen,
and served as a rabbi in Manchester, England for thirteen years before going
NY. He was known as a wonderful orator, according to Stern in the "Rise and
Progress of Reform Judaism."(1895) He became Rabbi at Emanu-El in 1873, and
helped revised the previous 1875 edition of the "Reform Hymnal." I believe
his -
-and M. Jastrow's) rendition of "Rock of Ages" was supposed to be an
adaption
in English translation of Leonpold Stein's German hymn, as the Reform was no
longer using German hymns but had changed to many English hymns by the 1887
edition. (That book was called "The Music to Hymns and Anthems for Worship,"
and included Hebrew and English rather than Hebrew and German) The "Rock of
Ages" retained the German melody from the traditional Ma'ot Tsur
(transliterated in the 1932 edition of the hymnal as "Mooz Tsur")

Judy