Re: Rock of (Moroccan) Ages

We've discussed some of the Ashkenazi/Sephardi songtrading  on the last
early last year. See:

http://shamash.org/listarchives/jewish-music/000120
and
http://shamash.org/listarchives/jewish-music/000119

 From that discussion:

At 08:41 AM 12/19/2001 -0500, Bob Wiener wrote:

>Judith,
>
>Do you have any idea as to how the tune made its way to the north of
>Morocco?  When was it used in the Moroccan synagogue?  Do Moroccan cantors
>use it as part of their Hanukah celebration?   Do you recall in what context
>you've heard it during fieldwork?
>
>Do you have a sense of whether such a melody is integrated into their
>musical practice or seen as exotic?  Would Moroccans consider it foreign or
>traditional?
>
>Are there other examples of similar transmigrations of Ashkenazi melodies to
>the north of Morocco?
>
>Bob

Joel Bresler
250 E. Emerson Rd.
Lexington, MA 02420 USA

Home Office:    781-862-4104
FAX:            781-862-0498
***PLEASE NOTE NEW EMAIL***
Email:          joel(dot)br (at) verizon(dot)net
Reflections on Sept. 11, 2001 at: http://joelbresler.tripod.com/Reflections.htm