Carl Orff

        My sophomore year in college I did a project on Carl Orff.  It is true
that he has been associated with the nazi's (his father was in a nazi
military band, but he was never very good!), but he himself never wanted
to be associated with the nazi's.

        "Orff was not a member of the party at any time and entertained towards
it no feelings of ideological sympathy. Nor were there among his closest
friends any supporters of the Nazi regime's ideology."
        (New Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians)

        "Unfortunately, in 1944 the Guntherschule (Orff's school) was closed
due to unstable political conditions, and one year later the building
and everything inside it was bombed and destroyed.  Because of the
nazi's, thousands of original documents, books, instruments, music,
costumes and records were lost forever."
        (Carl Orff: a Man with a Lesson Plan. 2000 Dan Perelstein)

        Carl Orff was an incredible music educator, and made huge strides in
the advancement of early childhood arts.

        If anyone would like a copy of my research paper on Carl Orff, please
email me at <daniel(dot)h(dot)perelstein (at) lawrence(dot)edu> and I will
gladly send it
to you.

Thanks,
Dan