Re: Yitzak and the Pussycats

The yizkor books are full of unusual and interesting stories.  For instance,
tonight I read about the first gramaphone in the shtetl of Ivye in Belarus:
http://www.jewishgen.org/Yizkor/ivye/ivy007.html
"Usually one seeks a trick in such a great wonder. How can it be that one
could hear a cantor singing just as he would at the pulpit in the old
study-house, from a box with a big trumpet? I myself heard old Jews explain
to their wives, that the cantor and the choir were sitting in the big
trumpet and singing...just like the Ivye cantor, Kalman, with his
apprentices at the pulpit in the old study-house. "
Helen