Re: Ha-sela ha-adom "The red rock"

On Wed, 10 Oct 2001, H. Kaufman wrote:

> It still is not clear what year the song was recorded by Arik Lavie.  Does
> anyone know?  Also, the song refers to three who were killed and not five.
> Why the discrepancy?

We have a recording of Arik Lavie singing this song (and others) that was
put out by Hed Artzi in the 60's.

As to the fact that the song mentions three who went to Petra and in the
incident that triggered the song five were killed; this was not one
instance where young men went off to prove their manhood and reach Petra.
There were many who tried. Some made it and some didn't. Also, the word
"shlosha" fits the rhythm here better than "chamisha".

Ryna Kedar
Head, Acquisitions & Cataloging Division
The Felicja Blumental Music Center & Library
Tel-Aviv, Israel