Re: [MLA-L] Ha-sela ha-adom "The red rock"

It still is not clear what year the song was recorded by Arik Lavie.  Does
anyone know?  Also, the song refers to three who were killed and not five.
Why the discrepancy?

I believe I learned the song from a recording by Ron (Eliran) and Nama
(Nechama Hendel) on a great album called Sabra The Young Heart of Israel
produced by Electra in 1960 (EKL 187).  I remember that the song was
popular throughout the 1960's and into the 1970's at gatherings of people
who sang Israeli songs in the U.S. At a gathering in 1970 at the Hashomer
Hatzair Chava (farm), students representing Israel-oriented campus
organizations from all over the country were instructed not to sing HaSela
HaAdom during our kumzitzim, since one of our guest speakers from Israel
was the father of a boy who was killed trying to get there. The song
suddenly became real to all of us.

Haim Kaufman
Rikuday Dor Rishon
New York City

p.s. My server went down with the World Trade Center and just went up a
few days ago -- sorry to those who could not reach me and to those whom I
could not reach.