  -----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
  Von: owner-jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org
[mailto:owner-jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org]Im Auftrag von sophie solomon
  Gesendet: Mittwoch, 10. Oktober 2001 09:58
  An: World music from a Jewish slant
  Betreff: Re: Trip to Ukraine

  Pete,

  I'm just back from a trip to the Ukraine myself.. which was fantastic..
played down at Ukraine Klezfest in the Crimea with Zalman, Adrienne and
Merlin.

  You should definitely contact Yana and Boris Yanover who run the Centre
for Jewish Education in Kiev and organise Klezfest... they are lovely people
with an unquenchable enthusiasm for Jewish music and culture and a good
network of contacts throughout Ukraine.  Yana speaks good English... tell
her that I put you in touch.. her email is: center (at)
cjeu(dot)carrier(dot)kiev(dot)ua

  A word of warning about travelling to the Ukraine -  and anywhere in the
former Soviet Union - if you plan to take your cymbal, make sure you speak
to Ukrainian Embassy in the US before you leave... and find out what
documentation you need.  I am currently embroiled in a nightmare
bureaucratic battle with Ukrainian authorities over my violin which was
confiscated at Kiev airport... they claimed I couldn't prove it was mine and
thought I was trying to export a national treasure "Objects of art and
antiques belong to the state unless you can prove otherwise' - this was not
helped by the fact that my violin is a beautiful old instrument made by a
famous french maker in 1891......

  apparently the documentation/insurance certificates etc I had with me were
insufficient proof of ownership... - so I had to leave the fiddle behind
when I left...   Even if your cymbal was made after 1940, it looks old
enough for them to think it's valuable... so be very careful...  I will get
my violin back soon - (Yana Yanover is being a total star in helping me with
this ) but believe me it's a major hassle that you should do your best to
avoid... and which is difficult enough even when you can speak russian so I
hate to imagine what it would be like without the language on my side...!

  you coming to klezkamp? would be good to play some chill taksims and
stuff...

  love sophie

  MOSCOW
  Home 7 095 247 0273