Re: Happy Nigun and Kammen

    I only have my reprint of the 1961 Edition of Kammen #9 handy, and it
doesn't mention Sam Ash. It also has no cords in it, Book #9 never seemed to
have cords added to it.
    I can give some information on Sam Ash though, he went on to found a
popular chain of music stores based out of New York City. They can be found
around many of the major cities on the East coast of the United States of
America. I used to occasionally go into one and they had a picture of Sam Ash
as a band leader on the wall

Matt Temkin - Mattflight (at) aol(dot)com
    Assistant Archivist; Klezmer Conservatory Foundation
    Jewish Music Percussionist

<<<
----- Original Message -----=20
" Happy Nigun "  pops up earlier on sheet music in the fiddle key of Dm =
in :
"Kammen international dance and concert folio #9"

Dear Ernie and all,
Happy Nigun appears indeed as No12 Bulgar (Frailach) in the "Kammen =
international dance and concert folio #9", described "as played by Sam =
Ash and his Club Society orchestra". But I have no further information =
about Sam Ash.
My 1924 version of Kammen's doesn't indicate any chords!

Many "Jewish" fast tunes in the "Kammen's" are called "Bulgar (Frailach) =
Jewish Dance", often without mention of the title (Happy nigun, Sherele, =
Kishiniever bulgar, Kiever bulgar, Odessa bulgar, etc. ), which is IMHO =
a bit astonishing for printed music with copyrights.=20
Kammen mentions further: "All the Jewish Frailachs in this book can also =
be played as Greek dances" and lists some "Jewish" tunes as Serbian, =
Roumanian, Russian...=20

By the way, the "Jewish" tunes show always a tipical ending=20
(here for a D-tune, 7 meaning quaver-rest, / a down move and _ a long =
note):=20
Jewish tunes: A-glissando--> D 7   /A 7   /D
Gipsy tunes : D D C+ D  /D
Romanian tunes : D E F+ A D 7 D 7 /D
Ukrainian tunes: /D ABC+  D
Russian tunes: D 7 /D
and Hungarian tunes: B 7 C+ 7 D  /D

I don't know if this observation is relevant or not, concerning Kammen's =
Folios or East European music...

Sorry, Khewre, if this mail is trivial beside the pain of the people in =
NY and Washington. I'm in thoughts with all suffering people.
Michal