Re: Happy Nigun and Kammen

----- Original Message -----
" Happy Nigun "  pops up earlier on sheet music in the fiddle key of Dm in :
"Kammen international dance and concert folio #9"

Dear Ernie and all,
Happy Nigun appears indeed as No12 Bulgar (Frailach) in the "Kammen
international dance and concert folio #9", described "as played by Sam Ash and
his Club Society orchestra". But I have no further information about Sam Ash.
My 1924 version of Kammen's doesn't indicate any chords!

Many "Jewish" fast tunes in the "Kammen's" are called "Bulgar (Frailach) Jewish
Dance", often without mention of the title (Happy nigun, Sherele, Kishiniever
bulgar, Kiever bulgar, Odessa bulgar, etc. ), which is IMHO a bit astonishing
for printed music with copyrights.
Kammen mentions further: "All the Jewish Frailachs in this book can also be
played as Greek dances" and lists some "Jewish" tunes as Serbian, Roumanian,
Russian...

By the way, the "Jewish" tunes show always a tipical ending
(here for a D-tune, 7 meaning quaver-rest, / a down move and _ a long note):
Jewish tunes: A-glissando--> D 7   /A 7   /D
Gipsy tunes : D D C+ D  /D
Romanian tunes : D E F+ A D 7 D 7 /D
Ukrainian tunes: /D ABC+  D
Russian tunes: D 7 /D
and Hungarian tunes: B 7 C+ 7 D  /D

I don't know if this observation is relevant or not, concerning Kammen's Folios
or East European music...

Sorry, Khewre, if this mail is trivial beside the pain of the people in NY and
Washington. I'm in thoughts with all suffering people.
Michal

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->