Re: Bob Paredes and Catherine Schieve

Ernie Gruner wrote:
>Does anyone know how if and when Bob Paredes(clarinet) and Catherine Schieve
>(accordion) played in the Klezmer Conservatory Band ? also whether either or
>both are still klezmering ?

>The duo were in Australia in 1986...The tune played was "Happy Nigun" as
played/transcribed by Giora Fiedman.

There is a Bob Parades who plays clarinet and sax who lives in Iowa City
(or at least, he did a year ago). He is an adjunct faculty member of jazz
in the University of Iowa Music Dept. He also leads a klezmer band in Iowa
City. Two years ago, when David Krakauer came to Hancher Auditorium there
to play with the Kronos quartet, David performed in a nearby venue with
Bob's group the day before.

A year ago, Bob came to Fairfield Iowa, where I live, to play jazz with
another group called the Anton Hatwitch Jazz Trio (clarinet/sax, accordian
[not Catherine Schieve] and acoustic bass). On that occasion, they also
played some klezmer at my wife's request. I thought he played very nicely
but didn't sound like a seasoned klezmer musician. I must say that I'm
surprised to hear that he played klezmer as long ago as 1986.

His email address a year ago was parrw (at) avalon(dot)net(dot)

Hope this is helpful,

Matt Jaffey