Re: Does anyone know of . . .

At 02:36 PM 9/5/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>Khaverim --
>
>I know I'm going to be sorry I asked this question but does anyone know
>of a website/directory/reference book that would tell me the Jewishness
>of classical composers -- some of them pretty darned obscure?
>
>Shanah tovah,
>George Robinson
Great Jews in Music is a book I use, not too scholarly and he identifies
people with Jewish backgrounds as Jews who I (or Halachah) wouldn't
sometimes, although he does make their precise backgrounds clear.  Not
great for the most contemporary composers.  Can't remember the author.

Alex Lubet, Ph. D.
Morse Alumni Distinguished Teaching Professor of Music
Adjunct Professor of American and Jewish Studies
University of Minnesota
100 Ferguson Hall
Minneapolis, MN 55455
612 624-7840 (o)