Re: Leon Wajner

Lori:
About LOC-- authors are often given assigned spellings of their names and
also if their birth and death dates are know, those are often included in
the author's file. So, if you have a Russian or Polish or another name where
an English language version may vary, --where the spelling might be
different according to how it is translated,-- then there is going to be
assigned the "authoritative" spelling, so-to-speak, of that name, for the
LOC. And the files may be linked to variant spellings in library catalogs,
which is often helpful. Take a look at 'Tchaikovsky', for example! Imagine
all the variant spellings of that one name and you get the idea how complex
this can be.

In terms of the biography-- yes, very useful. I've started keeping a
"vertical file" of biographical information about Jewish musicians and
composers. So if anyone wants to send me interesting bios, I keep them in a
file. Eventually, it will all add up. A "vertical file" is, basically, the
library term for a file drawer.
Judy